All images and text on this blog are copyright Gabrielle Fine unless otherwise noted. Use without permission is a violation of copyright law. Please contact the artist to obtain permission for any use (commercial or otherwise.) Thank you.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Stumptown Comics Fest

Sept. 29-30, Portland, OR. Tabling with Puddleville Graphic Novel Collective.

Puddleville power!
More pictures

Where to begin?

For starters, I have a confession: This was the first comic con of any kind that I have actually attended. How can this be, you may ask? Growing up in the Bay Area, with a healthy interest in comics from my teen years forward...well, it just seems "inconceivable!" But it's true. I have been to other types of conventions and festivals, of course. I did come close to attending APE in 1994 when my best friend at the time and I completed our first zine...but that is another story altogether.

In any case, it was fantastic. What a rush to be in a huge room surrounded by so much talent, motivation and dedication. It made me want to start drawing 100 comics at once. At the same time I was totally overwhelmed by ideas and also a little intimidated. However, the atmosphere at Stumptown was really friendly, supportive and DIY-focused. Some big names were there, such as Peter Bagge and Dark Horse Comics, but the main attraction for me was the individuals and groups who displayed their self-published work.

Here's a list of the people I bought stuff from, or picked up a postcard from, or otherwise admired:

B.T. Livermore/Robopocalypse Collective

Joshua Kemble


Sarah Oleksyk


Miriam Libicki

Matt Silady

Chris Yates/Playground Ghosts

Dylan Meconis

Girl Wonder


Shaenon K. Garrity


Dragon Green


That was just a sampling, really. It was just a feast for the eyes: Art, art everywhere!

As for Puddleville, I think we did well, just based on observation. A lot of people stopped at our table, we sold many copies of our Issue #1 (a compilation), and lots of buttons (buttons were a big hit. Oh, and I need a button making machine. Now.) It felt really good to be a part of that. APE next stop, I hope!

No comments: